Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bonnie Scotland

Never would believe that I would go to Scotland.

My CEO called meup and asked what I was doing on the 29th of November. Other than meetings on the 30th and December 1st - I could be available. He was then asked me if I could cancel those meetings and fly to Scotland for a major client meeting - which, of course, I complied with.

Besides business I was able to connect with my cousin on his step-Mom's side of the family and ask if they could meet while in Edinburgh. I had not seen them her in over 30 years.

Maggie McDonald and me in the lobby of the Balmoral Hotel
Maggie and her husband Colin
It was a rainy time when we toured the lights of downtown and a small concession area and fair and then we made it up to the castle where it was bitter cold, wet and windy.

So the next day I ventured out during a small dry spell to capture some pictures.

This is the Balmoral Hotel where I stayed
I stayed at the classic Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh and learned that this is where the author J.K. Rowling finished off writing the last book in the Harry Potter series. The grandchildren would love this piece of trivia.

Edinburgh Castle
When my youngest granddaughter heard I had visited a castle she immediately asked her mom if I had seen a princess. This was posted on Facebook and my wife responded...he better not have!!

The castle is still operational and the Scottish Army maintains a presence there. They have an annual Scottish Tattoo with marching bands and playing of bagpipes here each August and tickets sell out early in January or February for it.

I also saw where original Scottish kilts were made very close to the castle.
Weaving tartan material for kilts on a loom
As I walked the cold and overcast streets of Edinburgh I came across this sign that showed Robbie Burns the classic Scottish poet had lived and written near this location.

My wife would have loved this. Right across the street from the hotel was a bagpiper playing and I caught the photo before it started really raining hard.

Classic Bagpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment