Sunday, June 2, 2013

Oh To Be In England...

April 17th brought the sad news that my Mom's sister, my Aunt Lily, passed away at age 92.

My cousin Val and I were the only living relatives on my aunt's side of the family. She had outlived all other relatives.

My cousin, Val, and I connected probably for the very first time as my Mom's death created a grieving process that distance us from her side of the family. This was a grand catching up and an understanding of the challenging dynamics of our families.

I offered and my cousin was grateful to have me conduct the memorial service at Randalls Park Crematorium in Leatherhead, Surrey, on May 9, 2013, where my Uncle Fred and Aunt Lilly had once lived where he worked as the gardener.

I was grateful that my brother, Brian, came to attend. There were two older step-daughter's of Val's deceased husband, Eric, in attendance, two twin adult daughters of their mother who lived in the same nursing home as Aunt Lily and the funeral home director. It felt sad to have so few in attendance.

I worked with my cousin Val to create a simple and short eulogy along with words of comfort from the scriptures.

On the first day I arrived in England my cousin Val picked me up at Heathrow Airport and she was kind enough to drive us down to visit my parents. It is always hard to see them aging so much and declining in health. Val took this picture for me.

I am glad I was able to go.

2 comments:

  1. Special. Funny that you think your parents look older, to me they look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can see the family resemblance with both your cousin and your father. Good to make memories while you can.

    ReplyDelete